Foinhaven is conveniently situated for a number of activities and places of interest:
- Kirbister Loch – Foinhaven overlooks Kirbister Loch.
- Scapa Flow – base for the British Home Fleet in both world wars and graveyard for the surrendered German Navy, the shores of Scapa Flow are still ringed with the remains of wartime defences. Ferries for the island of Hoy leave Houton a few miles away and are served by a regular bus service into Kirkwall.
- The Orphir Round Kirk, The Orkneyinga Saga Centre and The Earl’s Bu – the Orkneyinga Saga Centre in Orphir offers the classic Orkney story in exhibition and video. There is a lovely coastal walk along this stretch
- Hobbister Bird Reserve – surrounding much of the land that Foinhaven overlooks is Hobbister Reserve, with its distinctive heather and peat hills
- Waulkmill Bay – one of the Orkney Mainland’s finest sheltered beaches is a short distance away
- Stromness and Kirkwall – Foinhaven is centrally situated between Kirkwall and Stromness